Pence views overcrowded badsmelling facility for detained migrants in Texas

first_img World 25 May 2019 Arizona tent facility eyed to cope with U.S.-Mexico border surge World 11 May 2019 Pentagon eyes longer-term support on U.S.-Mexico border Related News World 08 Jul 2019 Pence: U.S. ready to protect its interests as Iran makes nuclear threats Related Newscenter_img {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} MCALLEN, Tex. (Reuters) – Vice President Mike Pence viewed an overcrowded, foul-smelling facility in Texas on Friday where nearly 400 men are detained after being accused of crossing the U.S. border illegally.Some 384 single men were corralled behind metal fences inside the sweltering facility in McAllen, according to a pool reporter on the scene. The men did not have mats or pillows and some were sleeping on concrete.The cages were so crowded, according to the reporter, that it would have been impossible for all the men to lie down at the same time. Some of the men said that they had been there for 40 days or longer, were hungry, and wanted to brush their teeth. Some agents guarding the cages wore face masks.–– ADVERTISEMENT –– Water was available outside the fences, the pool reporter said, citing agents who said the men had access to the water when journalists were not present.After visiting the facility, Pence said at a news conference that he was not surprised by what he saw.”I knew we’d see a system that was overwhelmed,” Pence told reporters. “This is tough stuff.”A patrol agent, Michael Banks, said the men were allowed to brush their teeth once a day. “We currently have 88,000 toothbrushes,” he said.Many of the men had not showered for 10 to 20 days because the facility did not previously have showers, according to Banks, who said it now had a trailer shower. Banks said the longest any man had been at the facility was 32 days.The men were given three hot meals a day from local restaurants but could not have cots for sleeping because there was not enough room for them.Another 275 women were living in repurposed Army tents, he said.Pence said the centre at McAllen was a “prime example” of why the United States must secure its borders. “The facility is overcrowded and our system is overwhelmed. It is time for Democrats in Congress to step, do their jobs, and end this crisis,” Pence wrote on Twitter.President Donald Trump, a Republican, has made cracking down on illegal immigration a centrepiece of his administration, which is trying to deal with a surge of mostly Central American families crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. Pence also viewed a separate facility for families, divided into rooms to house women with children, men with children, unaccompanied minors and entire family units.Inside, migrants lay on tinfoil-like blankets and some children watched television. Two of the children said they had walked for two to three months before arriving at the facility. (Writing by Jeff Mason; Editing by Daniel Wallis)last_img read more

Student death Nigerian High Comm mulling redress wants to prevent a repeat

first_img World 10 Jul 2019 At least 100 migrants walk free from shelled detention centre in Tripoli PETALING JAYA: The Nigerian High Commission says it has taken the necessary steps to address the death of one of its citizens in a detention centre in Kuala Lumpur, with an eye towards seeking redress and preventing a repeat of such occurrence.It said it was working closely with Malaysian authorities and was awaiting the results of the autopsy report.”The High Commission has equally taken note of the concerns of Nigerians in Malaysia. The High Commission assures that necessary steps are being taken towards addressing this unfortunate incidence with a view for a redress and to prevent such occurrence in the future,” it said in a statement on Saturday (July 13).It urged Nigerians in Malaysia to continue to be law-abiding and to cooperate with the authorities and the High Commission while investigations were on-going. The High Commission said at the time of the arrest of Thomas Orhions Ewansiha, he was in possession of a student pass that was valid until Sept 23.It also confirmed that Ewansiha was a doctoral student of Management at Limkokwing University of Creative Technology.Ewansiha died on July 9 while in detention following a raid by the Immigration Department in Desa Aman Puri in Kuala Lumpur.Only July 11, a group of Nigerians took to protesting his death outside the Nigerian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. Related News Culture 07 Jul 2019 The ‘Mona Lisa’ Is Coming To Kuala Lumpurcenter_img World 10 Jul 2019 Bombed Tripoli migrant detention centre being emptied – U.N. {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} Related Newslast_img read more

Chief Justice heads honours list

first_imgGEORGE TOWN: Chief Justice Dat­uk Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat heads the honours list to mark the 81st birthday of Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas today.Tengku Maimun was conferred the state’s highest honours, the Darjah Utama Pangkuan Negeri (DUPN), which carries the title Datuk Seri Utama.Two others who are getting the Darjah Panglima Pangkuan Negeri (DPPN), which carries the title Datuk Seri, are Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador and Royal Malaysian Air Force chief Jen Tan Sri Affendi Buang.Kek Lok Si Temple trustee and Malaysia Buddhist Association honorary life president Datuk Steven Ooi Teik Heng was conferred the Darjah Gemilang Pangkuan Negeri (DGPN), which carries the title Datuk Seri. {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} Nation 19 May 2019 Final farewell to CAP president Nation 18 May 2019 Leaders pay last respects as CAP’s S.M. Mohamed Idris laid to rest Nation 17 Jun 2019 Rozali is Seberang Prai mayorcenter_img Prominent businessman and Malaysian-Pakistani League Penang president Datuk Abdul Rafique Abdul Karim was also conferred the DGPN together with Unimech Group Bhd founder Datuk Lim Cheah Chooi.Criminologist and Universiti Sains Malaysia security director Assoc Prof Dr P. Sundramoorthy and Penang Lay Buddhist honorary president Yeoh Beng Foo were conferred the Darjah Setia Pangkuan Negeri (DSPN), which carries the title Datuk.State secretary Datuk Seri Farizan Darus said there are a total of 877 recipients this year with 170 of them receiving their honours during Abdul Rahman’s birthday.“The presentation of awards will continue for next three days on July 15, 16 and 17,” he said during a press conference at Dewan Sri Pinang here yesterday. A hi-tea to mark the celebration will be held today at the Setia SPICE Arena and attended by Abdul Rahman, recipients and state dignitaries.The ceremonial dinner will be held on July 15 at the Setia SPICE Convention Centre.Farizan said a hi-tea will also be held at the SP Arena in Seberang Jaya on July 18. Related News Related Newslast_img read more

Selangor maintains youth age limit at 40

first_img Nation 10 Jul 2019 Johor youth age capped at 40, not 30 Related News {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} Nation 10 Jul 2019 DAP Youth wing mulls lowering membership age limit from 35 to 30 Related News Nation 09 Jul 2019 Johor govt reverts to original stand on youth age cap KLANG: Selangor is retaining the age limit for youth at 40 in tandem with its various policies and programmes.State executive councillor in charge of youth development Mohd Khairuddin Othman said many state policies for youth encompassed those between 30 and 40.“Take for instance our housing programme for youth, the target group is those who are above 30 as this is the group that qualifies for loans to buy homes,’’ he said.Another youth programme that covered mostly those over 30 is the Youth Marriage Incentive programme. AdChoices广告“So we have to maintain the cut-off age for youth at 40 and cannot bring it down to 30,’’ he said.Khairuddin, however, said the state would adhere to the age limit of 30 in all matters under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government.This includes youth recreational organisations (registered under the Registrar of Societies) and such.“Everything under the jurisdiction of the state government, the age limit for youth is 40,” he said.last_img read more

Soch badlo papa BJP MLAs daughter who married Dalit boy appeals to

first_img India Today Web Desk New DelhiJuly 12, 2019UPDATED: July 12, 2019 19:12 IST Sakshi Misra, daughter of MLA Rajesh Misra had uploaded a video on social media and informed about her wedding to Ajitesh Kumar.HIGHLIGHTSBJP MLA Rajesh Mishra’s daughter Sakshi on Friday made an emotional appeal to her fatherEarlier, Sakshi had said she was being threatened by her father and “his men” because she had married a Dalit manOn Friday, Sakshi asked her father to change his thinking and requested him not to discriminateSakshi, the daughter of BJP MLA Rajesh Mishra, whose viral video gripped the country this week, on Friday made an emotional appeal to her father with whom she spoke while sitting in the studios of Aaj Tak TV.Sakshi, in her viral video, had said she was being threatened by her father and “his men” because she had married a Dalit man. On Friday, Sakshi appeared on Aaj Tak TV and while in the studio, spoke to her dad over a call.”I had so many dreams and wanted to study. I used to tell my father to take me to work but he never took me seriously,” Sakshi said in a trembling voice. In an emotional message, Sakshi asked her father to change his thinking and requested him not to discriminate.Sakshi claimed that her father never let her step out of the house. “He [Sakshi’s father] had no clue what was happening with us. My brother and mother used to harass me when you were in the office,” Sakshi added.When called, BJP MLA Rajesh Mishra alleged that his family was being harassed. As Sakshi spoke with her father on Aaj Tak, she broke down and apologised to him. Rajesh Mishra said he wished she finds happiness in life, but disconnected the call soon after.THE CASESakshi and her husband Ajitesh had earlier filed a petition in the Allahabad High Court, seeking protection to “live a peaceful life” as a married couple.The next hearing in the case has been fixed for July 15 as Sakshi Mishra and her husband Ajitesh were not present in the court.Sakshi Misra (23) had uploaded a video on a social media platform last week, making her marriage with Ajitesh Kumar (29) public.In another video, she alleged there was a threat to her life from her father, brother and an associate.The couple asked for security, contending that there was a threat to their life from the BJP MLA, who was “unhappy” with their marriage as Sakshi was a Brahmin and Ajitesh a Dalit.The petitioners prayed that police or Rajesh Mishra do not disturb them in “their peaceful living as both petitioners were major and had entered into marriage with a free will”.READ | Respect her decision: BJP MLA denies threatening his daughter for marrying DalitREAD | Tell your goons to back off: BJP MLA’s daughter fears for life after marrying Dalit, releases videoWATCH | BJP MLA’s daughter who married Dalit boy makes emotional appeal to dad on live TVFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted bySumeda Next Soch badlo papa: BJP MLA’s daughter who married Dalit boy makes emotional appeal to dad on live TVSakshi, the MLA’s daughter had earlier filed a petition in the Allahabad High Court, seeking protection to “live a peaceful life” as a married couple. She spoke to her dad from the Aaj Tak studio on Friday.advertisementlast_img read more