CVPS Shareheat nets record contributions

first_imgCustomers, shareholders and several Vermont businesses have contributed to a banner year for CVPS Shareheat, raising a record amount of money to help Vermonters avert heating crises.With donations continuing to come in, more than $375,000 has been raised for the 2008-2009 heating season, raising the program total to nearly $3.2 million since its inception in 1987.  The previous record was less than $250,000 in one year.With heating prices skyrocketing, CVPS began its annual campaign with an unprecedented July kickoff, and committed $100,000 in shareholder funds to the program.  A host of Vermont businesses were recruited as partners, which donated to the matching pool to leverage customer donations. Altogether, $182,000 was available in the Shareheat matching pool, and customers have donated $193,000.  Hundreds of Vermont families benefited. We have been able to meet tremendous needs through incredible support from customers large and small, CVPS spokesman Steve Costello said.Carris Reels, Chittenden Bank, Merchants Bank, National Life Group, Omya, Passumpsic Savings Bank, Vermont Country Store and Weidman Electrical Technology joined CVPS as partners in the Shareheat program this year, donating $5,000 to $20,000 each.  Other significant donors included Vermont Electric Power Company and Hubbardton Forge. Without these major partners and donors, which helped leverage donations from across the state, we would never have raised so much to help those in need, Costello said.CVPS is already looking ahead to next winter. We will be seeking new and continued partnerships to keep Shareheat funds flowing, and hope to repeat this year s success for next winter, Costello said.Businesses interested in becoming CVPS Shareheat partners may contact Ann Warrell at 747-55697.Source: CVPS, RUTLANDlast_img read more

Rewarding affluent cardholders

first_imgDoes your credit union have an affluent membership?Mastercard defines the “mass affluent” consumer as those who earn $100,000-plus in individual income or households earning $350,000 or more. Visa has a $100,000 floor, with the “mass affluent” cardholder earning as much as $150,000.This group is one of the fastest-growing, most influential credit card segments in the United States, comprised of those who spend massive amounts via a premium card, an average of $18,000 annually—but virtually never carry a balance. “More striking is that growth for all credit card spend in the U.S. is accelerating towards premium card usage,” says Kenton Potterton, VP/solutions and consulting at CUES Supplier member PSCU, St. Petersburg, Fla.But how can you woo them to your credit union’s cards? continue reading » 10SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Patient in Cianjur did not die from COVID-19: Health Ministry

first_imgTopics : “The patient in Cianjur is among those observed as negative [for the coronavirus]. Therefore, he died not because of COVID-19,” Achmad told journalists at the State Palace on Tuesday.When asked about the patient’s actual cause of death, Achmad said that his office “would ask to the hospital first”.Read also: Death of isolation patient ‘not COVID-19’, says Indonesian hospitalCianjur acting regent Herman Suherman confirmed on Monday that Dr. Hafiz General Hospital in Cianjur had been treating a patient in its isolation room. A patient who died at Dr. Hafiz General Hospital in Cianjur, West Java, on Tuesday did not die from the novel coronavirus disease, a Health Ministry official has said.The patient, identified as a 50-year-old male who works as an employee in a state-owned enterprise, had been treated in the hospital’s isolation room since Sunday for showing symptoms of COVID-19.The Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention directorate general secretary, Achmad Yurianto, denied that the patient died from the viral disease.center_img “He is actually not a resident of Cianjur, but he was visiting his relatives. He came from Bekasi [also in West Java],” Herman told journalists after visiting the patient on Monday, as quoted by kompas.com.He said the patient traveled to Malaysia from Feb. 14 to 17. According to data compiled by the John Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering on Tuesday, there are at least 29 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Malaysia, of which 18 have recovered.“He was healthy when he arrived home. However, he caught a fever and was coughing on Feb. 20. He was admitted to a hospital in Bekasi from Feb. 22 to 26,” Herman said. The patient, however, left the hospital early to go to Cianjur on Feb. 29.“He went to Cianjur for a vacation to get healthy as well as to seek a traditional medical practitioner,” the regent explained.Read also: Malaysia maintains tourism target, bets on locals and non-Chinese visitorsDuring his stay at his relatives’ house, the patient’s health dropped significantly. He was then rushed to the hospital on March 1 to get treated. The regent said the patient complained of shortness of breath as well as pain in his lungs and heart.The regent initially said that the patient’s health was improving. However, the patient died on Tuesday early morning.State-owned telecommunications company Telkom confirmed that the patient was one of its employees in a statement issued on Tuesday.“His medical record within the company shows that the employee has a history of inflammation in his respiratory airways as well as the common cold,” Telkom vice president for corporate communications Arif Prabowo said in the statement.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Monday that two Indonesians tested positive for COVID-19, the first two confirmed cases of the disease in the country. The two patients, a 64-year-old and her 31-year-old daughter, had been in contact with a Japanese citizen who tested positive in Malaysia on Feb. 27 after visiting Indonesia in mid-February. (gis)last_img read more

Early decision needed for any delay, Japan 2020 organizing Olympics committee

first_imgA banner for the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympics is seen through a traffic signal in Tokyo, Japan, March 11, 2020. (REUTERS/Issei Kato)Mori called Takahashi’s suggestion “outrageous”, while on Thursday Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said she believed cancellation was not an option, although she acknowledged that the pandemic label would affect future discussions.The World Health Organization (WHO) described the coronavirus outbreak as a pandemic for the first time, prompting more countries to announce drastic measures.The Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee said its stance had not changed following the declaration of a pandemic. Any decision to delay the Olympics should be made before May, an organizing committee board member told Japanese broadcaster TBS late on Wednesday, as doubts over the Summer Games may grow with the coronavirus now declared a pandemic.Tokyo 2020 executive board member Haruyuki Takahashi’s comments came just hours after its chief, Yoshiro Mori, publicly chided him for remarks he first made to the Wall Street Journal that a delay of one or two years would be the most reasonable option if the coronavirus derailed the Games.The Japanese and Tokyo metropolitan governments, local organizers and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have all sought to quash persistent speculation that the Games could be cancelled or postponed. “We will continue to coordinate our response with the Government of Japan, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and other stakeholders as we prepare for safe and secure delivery of the Tokyo 2020 Games in July this year,” a representative said via email.Speaking to TBS after Mori’s news conference, Takahashi said: “If you think about the athletes, May would seem too late” to make a decision on any delay, according to the broadcaster. “We need to think about taking the first step, before the IOC.”He added that the organizing committee would probably discuss postponement at its next meeting later this month, TBS reported.Takahashi did not respond to a request for comment.Olympics – Dress Rehearsal – Lighting Ceremony of the Olympic Flame Tokyo 2020 – Ancient Olympia, Olympia, Greece – March 11, 2020 Greek actress Xanthi Georgiou, playing the role of High Priestess lights the flame during the dress rehearsal for the Olympic flame lighting ceremony for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics (REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis)U.S. President Donald Trump suspended travel from Europe, except for the UK, for 30 days starting Friday, and hard-hit Italy tightened its lockdown.One of the most common strategies to contain the coronavirus is to avoid large gatherings, and major sporting events around the world have been canceled or held without spectators.The U.S. National Basketball Association said it was suspending the season after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for the virus.As of Wednesday, Japan had 620 cases and 15 deaths, excluding people on a cruise ship that was quarantined near Yokohama last month, according to the health ministry. Experts say the tally may be deceptively low due to the limited number of tests in Japan compared with many other countries. Topics :last_img read more