By NAFB News Service – Dec 23, 2019 Facebook Twitter Pilot Insurance Coverage Available for Hemp Growers SHARE Home Indiana Agriculture News Pilot Insurance Coverage Available for Hemp Growers Hemp plants grown at Hampshire Farms in Kingston, Michigan. Photo: Ashley DavenportThe Risk Management Agency announced it’s offering a new crop insurance option for hemp growers in select counties across 21 states next year.The pilot insurance program will provide Actual Production History coverage (APH) under 508(h) Multi-Peril Crop Insurance.The offer is for eligible producers who raise the crop in certain counties throughout states like Alabama, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin.The MPCI coverage applies to hemp grown for fiber, grain, or CBD oil for the 2020 crop year. This is in addition to the Whole-Farm Revenue Protection coverage available to hemp growers that was announced earlier this year.“We are excited to offer coverage to certain hemp producers in the pilot program,” says RMA Administrator Martin Barbre. “Since it’s a pilot program, we look forward to feedback from producers in the program during the upcoming crop year.”To be eligible for the program, producers must meet several requirements, including complying with applicable state, tribal, or federal regulations for hemp production, they must have at least one year’s history of producing the crop, and they must have a contract for the sale of the insured hemp. SHARE Facebook Twitter Previous articleChina Can Fulfill Pledge to Purchase $40 Billion in U.S. Farm GoodsNext articleShould Farmers Get Paid to Use Cover Crops? NAFB News Service
Back to overview,Home naval-today US Navy appoints first SEAL as a Fleet Master Chief US Navy appoints first SEAL as a Fleet Master Chief View post tag: Fleet Master Chief View post tag: US Naval Forces Europe-Africa January 14, 2019 The US Navy has selected a Navy SEAL to serve as Fleet Master Chief for the first time in the service’s history, US Naval Forces Europe-Africa commander Adm. James G. Foggo III has announced.Force Master Chief Derrick Walters will succeed Fleet Master Chief Raymond Kemp as Fleet Master Chief for US Naval Forces Europe-Africa in early Spring.“I am excited to announce Force Master Chief Derrick Walters will be our new Fleet Master Chief,” said Foggo. “He is a proven leader who brings a tremendous and very unique wealth of experience and will advocate for our Sailors and their families serving overseas.”Walters is currently the Force Master Chief for Naval Special Warfare, headquartered in San Diego.“Force Master Chief Walters has a stellar record,” said Foggo. “Accordingly, he rose to the top of an impressive list of candidates considered for this critical job and I look forward to the pride, professionalism, and experience he will bring to our mission in Europe and Africa.”His previous assignments include a tour of duty with SEAL Teams 8 and 2, and Naval Special Warfare Group 2 Training Det. Walters returned to SEAL Team 2 as the Operations and Command Master Chief and did a repeat tour with Special Warfare Group 2 as the Senior Enlisted Adviser.He has also served as Command Master Chief at Naval Special Warfare Center and was the Senior Enlisted Leader at NATO Special Operations headquarters before becoming the Force Master Chief of Naval Special Warfare Command. Share this article View post tag: US Navy Authorities
“We are now seeing the first promising signs of a significant decline in the number of cases.”The slowdown in cases comes more than a month after the nearly 5 million residents of Melbourne, the capital of Victoria, were told to stay home, and a week after most businesses in the country’s second-largest city were ordered to close in an attempt to slow the spread of the virus.With about 21,000 COVID-19 cases and 314 deaths, Australia has still recorded fewer infections and fatalities than many other developed nations. Outside the two largest states of Victoria and New South Wales, the virus has been effectively eliminated.”Hideous thought” Australia recorded its biggest one-day rise in COVID-19 deaths on Monday although a slowdown in new cases gave hope that a second wave of new infections in the state of Victoria may have peaked.Nineteen people had died from the virus, all in Victoria, in the past 24 hours, a national daily record. However only 337 people had been diagnosed with COVID-19 across the country, the lowest one-day rise since July 29, officials said.”This is an agonizing day for the members for the 19 families who have lost a loved one to COVID-19 today,” Michael Kidd, Australia’s deputy chief medical officer, told reporters. Desperate to contain the outbreak, Australia’s states and territories have closed their borders and slowed a timetable to remove remaining social-distancing restrictions. Victoria will continue in a hard lockdown for at least another five weeks.Prime Minister Scott Morrison said internal travel restrictions were likely to remain until at least Christmas.Social distancing restrictions have devastated Australia’s economy. Unemployment is expected to peak at 14% this year as the country enters its first recession in nearly three decades.The government last week pledged to expand its wage subsidy scheme by A$16.8 billion ($12 billion) amid the Victorian outbreak, prompting some criticism that the economic toll was too high.But Morrison said the alternative was unthinkable.”There have been some suggestions, I’ve read it … that somehow our elderly should in some way have been offered up in relation to this virus,” Morrison told reporters in Canberra.”That is a just hideous thought. An absolutely amoral, hideous thought. One that I’ve had no countenance with when it’s been suggested.” Topics :
SAMSA further said that the Port of Ngqura was closed for vessel traffic due to the risk that some containers may have sunk in the approach channel, becoming a danger to navigation. The authority is working with the vessel owner to ensure that all containers are salvaged. Earlier this week, a containership operated by Swiss shipping major Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) lost more than 20 containers overboard during stormy weather in Algoa Bay near the city of Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) said. “At 23:37 on the 14th of July 2020 of a report was received from Port Control that the MSC Palak had lost containers overboard while at anchor.” The ship in question is the 9,411 TEU MSC Palak flying the flag of Madeira. Although an initial assessment was that six containers had fallen overboard, the vessel confirmed that 23 containers were lost. “A fishing vessel reported at 08:00 on 15 July 2020, that they found containers drifting approximately seven (7) nautical miles south of where the containers were lost. SAMSA was informed that no dangerous cargo was lost overboard.” “An aerial surveillance flight was arranged by the owners to locate any drifting containers that may pose a hazard to shipping. SAMSA requests the public to remain vigilant and report any containers sighted to SAMSA,” the authority noted. Built in China 2016, the Post-Panamax boxship MSC Palak is owned by China’s Bank of Communications and commercially controlled by MSC, data provided by VesselsValue shows. “The container vessel MSC Palak sailed out Port of Ngqura at 12:00 on the 13th of July 2020 due to high winds and anchored in Number 2 anchorage to ride out the heavy weather. On 13 and 14 July 2020, a severe storm passed the South African coast, causing heavy weather in Algoa Bay. The swell height measured in Algoa Bay was approximately 3.5m,” SAMSA said in a statement.