Conservative website Baztab blocked again

first_imgNews News Help by sharing this information The website Baztab (www.baztab.com), close to the former commander of the Revolutionary Guards, Mohsen Rezai, highly critical of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad, was banned by the State Council on 29 March. Iranian news agency ISNA, reported that supporters of the president had taken out 15 law suits against it.It was previously blocked on 12 February and 19 March for posting “false” news which “violated the Constitution”, “damaging private life” or the “unity of the country”.————————–20.03.07 – Authorities lift ban on website that criticised AhmadinejadThe Iranian authorities yesterday lifted a ban on the conservative website Baztab.com, one of the most visited sites in Iran. The ban was imposed on 12 February under regulations adopted on 27 November 2006 forbidding the publication of “false” information, “violating the constitution” and attacking “personal privacy” or “the country’s unity.” The site had published reports on Iran’s nuclear industry and on corruption in which President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was criticised.—————————–19.02.07 – November decree used for first time to block websites Regulations adopted on 27 November with the aim of facilitating control of the Internet have been openly used for the first time by the Iranian authorities to justify blocking access to the conservative online publication Baztab.com, Reporters Without Borders said today.The press freedom organisation also confirmed that the photo-sharing site Flickr.com is not accessible in Iran, while several Internet Service Providers are still blocking YouTube.com and access to the Farsi-language pages of the Reporters Without Borders website (www.rsf.org) is being blocked with increasing frequency.”We condemned the November decree for various reasons,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The first reason was the requirement for website editors to register with the authorities. Although impossible to implement, it provides grounds for arbitrarily closing online publications which the authorities do not like. The second reason was its creation of an ‘Internet surveillance body’ under the control of the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Orientation that is supposed, inter alia, to combat the publication of ‘false information’.”The organisation added: “The authorities are making open use of the decree for the first time, and we see that the target is a website that supports Ayatollah Khamenei, in what is a war within the conservative camp. The regulations are almost certainly also being used to block access to ‘immoral’ sites such as Flickr or YouTube.”The Baztab.com site was banned on 12 February for violating last November’s rules, which forbid the publication of “false” information, “violating the constitution” and attacking “personal privacy” or “the country’s unity.” The site recently published reports on Iran’s nuclear industry and on corruption in which President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was lambasted (for an example of a Baztab article go to www.rsfblog.org).The site’s editors have protested against the ban, insisting that parliament is responsible for anything to do with control of the media and that the November decree is “illegal” and “unconstitutional.”Aside from the partial or complete blocking of the Flickr, YouTube and www.rsf.org websites, Reporters Without Borders has noticed that several news aggregators are also now banned in Iran. The blognews.1bn.eu site, which has a review of Farsi-language blogs, and balatarin.com, which allows visitors to vote on articles (on the model of the US site Digg) have both been blocked for several weeks.————-Create your blog with Reporters without borders: www.rsfblog.org News June 11, 2021 Find out more March 18, 2021 Find out more RSF_en IranMiddle East – North Africa Organisation Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to electioncenter_img Receive email alerts Follow the news on Iran to go further Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists June 9, 2021 Find out more News April 30, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Conservative website Baztab blocked again IranMiddle East – North Africa last_img read more

The Legendary Soul Singer, Charles Bradley, Dies At 68

first_imgToday, the world is mourning the loss of the legendary soul singer, Charles Bradley, who died today at the age of 68 years old. In October of last year, the iconic musician announced that he had been diagnosed with stomach cancer and had canceled his tour dates, later returning to the road this past summer with an extensive tour. Earlier in September, Bradley was forced to cancel his upcoming tour dates after the cancer had spread to his liver.The Brooklyn-raised Daptone Records singer has been a cornerstone of the funk/soul revival in recent years, and is nothing short of being a positive force and inspiration both on stage and in the studio. Bradley was scheduled to play all over the world from September through December, including a gig this weekend in Brooklyn at OctFest, dates in South America and Europe, Suwannee Hulaween, and a New Year’s Eve support gig for My Morning Jacket in Colorado.You can read the statement via Bradley’s official Facebook page below. Rest in peace, Mr. Bradley. You will be missed. It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of Charles Bradley.Mr. Bradley was truly grateful for all the love he’s received from his fans and we hope his message of love is remembered and carried on. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the following organizations:– All-Stars Project: https://allstars.org– Music Unites: http://www.musicunites.orglast_img read more

‘Taking babies at birth’ being considered

first_img3 News 6 June 2012The Government is considering the introduction of court orders allowing babies to be removed from parents at birth if they’ve previously abused or killed a child.Social Development Minister Paula Bennett says that’s one of the options cabinet is considering as it looks for ways to tackle child abuse, Radio New Zealand reports.Ms Bennett says that last year 148 children were removed from a parent within days of being born because of concerns about their safety.Extended court powers would mean judges could tell parents that if they had any more children, they would be removed at birth.Thresholds for courts orders could be convictions for murder, or serious abuse or neglect of a child.http://www.3news.co.nz/Taking-babies-at-birth-being-considered/tabid/1607/articleID/256853/Default.aspxDog abusers banned from owning animalsA man has been banned from owning an animal for 10 years for keeping an elderly dog in such poor condition it died within minutes of SPCA intervention.   http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6551161/Dog-abusers-banned-from-owning-animalslast_img read more

How IoT is fixing America’s sleep problem

first_imgWhy IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces ReadWrite Sponsors Follow the Puck Internet of Things Makes it Easier to Steal You… Wake up, America, We have a sleep problem. More than 68% of Americans report having trouble sleeping at least once a week, and many people believe that technology plays a major role in keeping them awake, but can it actually help you get a better night’s sleep? After all, the Internet of Things already helps make our day-to-day lives easier and more efficient: from keeping an eye on your house to regulating your pet feedings to keeping track of how many steps you take each day. But, we can’t ignore sleep as we turn to IoT for help with our daily (and nightly) tasks. As Arianna Huffington told Stanford MBA students, sleep is a “productivity tool,”  which is why it only makes sense to develop a platform to help us sleep better.Sleep deprivation is also a health issue, and according to the Harvard Business Review, it’s not just an individual health hazard – it’s a public one. The IoT is just starting to break its way into the healthcare space, with doctors, hospitals, and diagnosticians taking advantage of new technology to help their patients. But there is still a huge opportunity for the Internet of Things to improve consumers’ health by simply helping them get a better night’s sleep.For more than 15 years, Cambridge Sound Management has made it our business to make people more productive. As the world leader in sound masking technology, our commercial sound masking products emit low-level, unobtrusive background sound, similar to airflow, designed to reduce distractions and the intelligibility of speech. Over the years, our clients have seen the difference our sound masking technology has on their work environment and have often asked us for solutions to noise distractions in their own home. Many own a white noise machine or sleep with a fan on year-round to drown out unwanted noise, but the single point of sound in these devices makes it easy for our brains to focus on where the noise is being emitted, which doesn’t actually make for a more restful night’s sleep.At Cambridge Sound Management, we know this is the number one shortcoming of traditional white noise machines and fans because it’s an issue we conquered years ago when we invented direct-field sound masking for our commercial business. Instead of one big speaker in an office to mask sound, we spaced out our smaller emitters in a grid layout to create a more uniform distribution and more effectively reduce noise distractions. But sound masking doesn’t just replace one unwanted sound with another (like your fan or ocean sounds playlist); it masks that unwanted sound through a sound at the right frequency and decibel level on the sound curve that is comfortable and barely noticeable to the human ear. To draw a comparison, you can drown out the light from a flashlight with a high power flood light, or you could perfectly dim the lights to eliminate the impact of the flashlight. This is how our sound masking systems work. But, as Ms. Huffington pointed out, productivity isn’t limited to the boardroom: it first starts with productive sleep at home. Hearing the need for a more advanced solution to noise distractions in the home, we took our expertise in sound masking and developed a solution that masks unwanted noise where people need it most: the bedroom. That’s why we created Nightingale, the world’s first smart sleep system designed for today’s connected home. Nightingale’s unique, two-unit system creates uniform and even soft, ambient sound (called sound blankets) that ensure the brain cannot localize on the source of the sound, making for a truly quieter night’s sleep. Nightingale sound blankets were designed by our sound scientists to immerse the entire bedroom in our proprietary sound curve, which is optimized to mask the most common indoor and outdoor noises that interrupt sleep. Two speakers on either side of the room and low to the ground project our sound blankets in a dogbone or bipolar pattern, so when Nightingale is behind furniture, the sound or overall effect isn’t impeded.Through the iOS and Android app, you can optimize Nightingale to fit your room’s specific acoustics and sleeping conditions: for instance, adjust for a hardwood or carpet floor, the type of room you’re in (whether an adult bedroom, child bedroom or hospital room) and account for health conditions like snoring or tinnitus.Nightingale seamlessly integrates with other smart home devices such as Nest, Ring, and Philips Hue via the popular IFTTT platform and can be controlled by voice with Amazon Echo. Nightingale offers 15 different ambient sound blanket options and, if you prefer, different nature sounds, all designed to ease you to sleep. We understand that no two rooms or people are the same, so Nightingale flexibly accommodates your sleeping conditions and preferences. We’re excited to be among the first to leverage IoT technology to truly change your quality of our sleep. Learn more about Nightingale here.This article was produced in partnership with Cambridge Sound Management.center_img Related Posts Small Business Cybersecurity Threats and How to… Tags:#Android#Cambridge Sound#iOS#IoT#Nightingale#sleep last_img read more

PH dragon boat team delivers gold medals anew

first_imgPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Meggie Ochoa settles for bronze due to technicality in World Jiu-Jitsu Championship Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess The national paddlers clocked 1:00.76 in dominating the 10-seater premier women’s division 200m and duplicated the feat in the 20-seater premier mixed category that served as their tuneup for the coming 30th Southeast Asian Games.Despite having five women in the premier big boat open category, the Filipinos still wound up with a silver medal in a hard-fought race that featured boats with all-male teams.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“We did well in this tournament and we are eager to translate our performance here into victories during the SEA Games,” said head coach Len Escollante. “What was really surprising was we got these medals against teams where the paddlers are all male.”The Go For Gold-PH Dragonboat squad wrote history on the world stage when they collected five gold medals that sealed the overall title in last year’s world championships in Lake Lanier, Gainesville, Georgia. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP MOST READ View comments DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH PLAY LIST 05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss They ruled the 10-seater and 20-seater senior mixed 200m races in the worlds apart from winning the small boat and big boat in the senior mixed 500m and the 10-seater senior men’s 200m.“Right now, we’re confident that we can go up against the best in the (Southeast Asian) region, but we cannot be complacent. We must keep on improving our clockings,” said Escollante.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next CONTRIBUTED PHOTOMANILA, Philippines—Filipino paddlers haven’t lost their touch since they bagged five gold medals in the ICF (International Canoe Federation) Dragon Boat World Championships.In a dazzling display of speed, precision and teamwork, the Go For Gold-Philippine dragon boat team brought home gold medals from the international arena again on Wednesday, this time from the world-renowned DBS Marina Regatta in Singapore.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIESlast_img read more

Gary Reynolds appointed coach of Scottish Men’s team

first_imgSydney University Touch Club stalwart, Gary Reynolds, has been appointed to the position of Head Coach of the Scottish Men’s Open National team. Reynolds, who recently moved to Edinburgh for work, was approached by the Scottish Touch Association’s National Squad Management Committee to take on the job of coaching the country’s elite Men’s players.“It is obviously an honour to be appointed to coach a National team, and it is a role that I am excited about.”  Reynolds said. The Scottish Touch Association will host the 2009 Home Nations Touch Championships in August. The tournament will see sides from Scotland, Wales, Jersey and England compete.“I hope that I can provide the team with the required knowledge, skills and direction to achieve their goal at the upcoming Home Nations tournament this August.  There are players with real potential in this squad, and now it is my job to harness that and turn it into success.”Reynolds has his work cut out for him with the Scottish Men’s team, who are currently ranked 7th in the world, failing to make the final of the last Home Nations event.For the Scottish teams this is the beginning of their push for better results at the next World Cup in 2011, which will be played in the Scottish capital of Edinburgh. Reynolds has an extensive Touch background and was responsible for the formation of the Sydney University Touch Club in 2001, holding the role of President for five years. He is a qualified referee, coach and selector and competed for his home region, the Hunter Western Hornets, in the Mixed Open division at the 2004 National Touch League.last_img read more

10 months agoNew Inter Milan chief Marotta cools Conte rumours

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say New Inter Milan chief Marotta cools Conte rumoursby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNew Inter Milan chief Beppe Marotta denies he’s in talks with Antonio Conte.The former Chelsea boss is being linked with Luciano Spalletti’s job at Inter.Marotta said, “I said Spalletti is a very good Coach, who did well throughout his career, so we’ve got to let him work. “I want to underline he too came to Inter last season, climbed into some important positions after a long time out, so must be left to work with calm.“It is up to the club to make the right moves on the market and work with the Coach and all together to form a winning project.” last_img read more

3 days agoLiverpool legend Carragher apologises to Evra: Not enough courage

first_imgLiverpool legend Carragher apologises to Evra: Not enough courageby Paul Vegas3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Jamie Carragher has apologised to Patrice Evra for wearing a t-shirt in support of Luis Suarez after their race row.Ex-Liverpool striker Suarez was found guilty by the Football Association of racially abusing Manchester United left-back Evra in December 2011.Suarez was handed an eight-match ban and fined £40,000 before his Liverpool team-mates including Carragher backed the Uruguayan by wearing the ‘Suarez 7’ T-shirts in a warm-up at Wigan.Carragher and Evra were both pundits on Sky’s Monday Night Football and the former Liverpool centre-back admitted: “Apologies. There is no doubt we made a massive mistake. That was obvious. As a club we got it massively wrong.“I didn’t have enough courage to say I’m not wearing it.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more